This introduction to Curtis’s 50th-anniversary book, Overtones—written in 1974 by M. Todd Cooke, Curtis’s board president at the time—is as true now as it was then.
Curtis alumni, having experienced extraordinary one-on-one training and valuable performance opportunities as students, go on to invent careers with impact around the world and in their communities.
- Curtis alumni are regularly among the winners of the most prestigious awards and honors in the classical music world, including Pulitzer Prizes, Guggenheim Fellowships, and Avery Fisher Awards.
- They are in the front rank of soloists and conductors. They are leaders and change agents in their communities.
- They are members of the world’s leading orchestras, and every major American symphony orchestra has principals who are Curtis alumni.
- They have sung with the Metropolitan Opera, La Scala, Covent Garden, the Vienna Staatsoper, and the San Francisco Opera, among many others.
- Each season, leading orchestras, opera houses, and chamber music series around the world feature Curtis alumni as guest artists.