Curtis has now addressed these longstanding concerns thanks to the generosity of Gerry and Marguerite Lenfest and more than 300 donors who contributed to the effort to plan and construct Lenfest Hall. This beautiful new building was completed early in FY 2012, and opened in time for the 2011–12 school year. Lenfest Hall has been a hub for living, learning, music-making, and socializing ever since. With the new building in operation, Curtis was able to repurpose space within its historic buildings, moving offices and studios to optimize all campus spaces.
Among the strategic steps Curtis took toward improving its facilities in FY 2012:
- completed the construction of Lenfest Hall on schedule and under budget, and opened in August 2011
- implemented a comprehensive operational plan for housekeeping, maintenance, security, waste management, and other building services
- undertook major renovations to the Rock Resource Center at 1720 Locust Street and relocated administrative offices, large-instrument studios, and the orchestra library
- raised $1 million in additional endowment to operate Lenfest Hall