Practice and Rehearsal
Most students who live in Lenfest Hall have the benefit of being able to practice in their residences. Teaching studios, classrooms, and practice rooms in the main building (1726 Locust Street) and Lenfest Hall are available to all students as follows:
Classrooms, studios, and practice rooms with specified uses will have a weekly schedule posted by the door. These rooms are available as practice rooms, when not in use for a scheduled activity, on a first-come, first-serve basis for a maximum of two hours. There are no advanced reservations permitted for these rooms.
Practice rooms with no schedule posted are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for a maximum of two hours. There are no advanced reservations permitted for these rooms.
There are twelve rooms defined as teaching studios: Zimbalist, Horszowski, I-C, I-D, I-E, Vengerova, LH301, LH302, LH306, LH401, LH402, and LH419. These rooms are scheduled on a daily basis. If you will need a space for a chamber group or a rehearsal with an accompanist, you may request time in one of these spaces by submitting a practice room request via the intranet. Your request must be received no later than noon of the day prior to your room need, and requests for the weekend and Mondays must be received by noon of the preceding Friday.
Practice and Rehearsal
Curtis students practice in their apartments, Lenfest Hall residences and in rooms located in the main building (1726 Locust Street) and Lenfest Hall. Students may access these rooms from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Students who reside in Lenfest Hall have 24-hour access to the spaces in that building.
Rehearsals in Field Concert Hall
To reserve Field Concert Hall or Gould Rehearsal Hall, see the registrar and associate dean of academic affairs as soon as you know your Hall needs. The Steinway concert grand in Field Concert Hall may be used only for performances, for rehearsals in preparation for performances, or for recording.
Other Practice Room Guidelines
- If a room reserved for a student is not claimed after ten minutes, it becomes available to others.
- Rooms I-E and Vengerova are blocked from use during recitals in Field Concert Hall.
- When not in use for classes, room 235 J serves as a computer lab.
- Outside accompanists, parents, or other guests are not permitted in the studios or at rehearsals of any kind without special written permission. To obtain permission, see the dean or the registrar and associate dean of academic affairs.
- Curtis graduates may practice at the Institute, at the school's convenience, if studios are available. A reservation, however, MUST be made with the registrar and associate dean of academic affairs.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the studios.
- Chairs and stands are to be returned to where they were originally obtained.