Back to Top
Events Calendar
Loading Events...
View full calendar

International Student Advising

Laurel Grady associate dean of student services and international student affairs provides international students advice and counsel on matters related to non-immigrant study in the U.S. and American customs and culture.  

F1 students regularly receive comprehensive information on travel advisories, curricular practical training, optional practical training, employment eligibility, regulations, and more. Laurel Grady meets with all international students regularly and is always available to assist students so that they remain compliant with all non-immigrant requirements mandated by the U.S. Department of State. 

Additional information that can help students remain in compliance with U.S. Department of Homeland Security rules and regulations throughout the international student process is available through Study in the States. Language translations are available on the site.

Helpful Resources

Get to know the city of Philadelphia with the Philadelphia International Guide. View this helpful resource in Chinese, Korean, Russian, and other languages as well.

To locate or contact U.S. embassies and consulates in your country, visit U.S. Department of State.

For information on what to expect upon arrival to the U.S. visit U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement.

Recommendations for international students studying in the U.S. (translations included) can be found at Adjusting to American Culture

English Language Practice Online

Employment, Travel, and the Form I-20

Employment of international students is strictly regulated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Paid performances (“gigs”) are considered employment by DHS, whether they are paid in cash or referred by Curtis staff or faculty. All outside employment of international students must be authorized by the international student advisor prior to being contracted. To seek this authorization, complete a release request, obtain all necessary signatures including that of the dean of faculty and students, and present it to the international student advisor. International students who engage in unauthorized employment are out of status and subject to apprehension and deportation by the enforcement division of DHS.

If you wish to leave the United States temporarily before completing your course of study, you must take a valid I-20 form and several other documents with you in order to be readmitted to the United States. If you change address or change status, you must notify the international student advisor. Please be careful: Failure to comply with DHS regulations can result in extreme penalties.