Campus and Facilities

The Curtis Institute of Music is largely housed in stately mansions that pair 19th-century charm with 21st-century amenities. They have a distinguished architectural history.

Main Building, 1726 Locust Street

The Curtis Institute of Music’s main building occupies two charming, connected 19th-century mansions with wood-paneled walls, ornate moldings, high ceilings, decorative ironwork, and Oriental rugs. Classes, practice, lessons, performances, and receptions are held here. The building includes Field Concert Hall, the Curtis Opera Studio, the Graffman Common Room, music studios, classrooms, a computer studio, and a student lounge.

Graffman Commonroom

Inside the front doors is a handsomely appointed reception area, named the Gary and Naomi Graffman Common Room after the recent Curtis president/director and his wife. It hosts receptions, weekly Wednesday-afternoon teas, and the daily comings and goings of students and faculty.

 

Field Concert Hall

Field Concert Hall is a 240-seat auditorium with splendid acoustics and facilities for video- and audio-recording. It is used for weekly student recitals, faculty and alumni concerts, master classes, and recording sessions. It also houses a 5-manual, 116-rank Aeolian-Skinner organ. The hall is easily accessible, with an elevator lift at street level.

 

Rock Resource Center, 1720 Locust Street

The Rock Resource Center, at 1720 Locust Street, houses the John de Lancie Library and the Curtis Archives. Named after Dr. Milton L. Rock, a generous former chairman of the Curtis Board of Trustees, the Rock Resource Center aims to provide Curtis students, faculty, and staff with the best possible collection of printed music, books, periodicals, recordings, and electronic resources.

The Curtis Archives document and preserve the history of the Curtis Institute of Music and make its records and materials available to the greater Curtis community and researchers. Use of some materials may be restricted by limitations imposed by law, donor stipulations, Curtis policies, or preservation concerns. The archives may be consulted by appointment only. 

The John de Lancie Library contains more than 65,000 volumes of music scores and books, including over 100 scholarly sets of composers’ complete works, authoritative editions of the standard repertoire, and more than 33,000 audio and video recordings.

 

Lenfest Hall, 1616 Locust Street

To maintain its priceless musical traditions in the modern environment, Curtis built Lenfest Hall, a dynamic space for learning and living, tailored to the needs of its extraordinary students and faculty. It includes the magnificent Gould Rehearsal Hall, housing for half the student body, a fifth-floor garden terrace, and convenient dining facilities. It also houses the orchestra library and the orchestral instrument collection. The building is named in honor of Curtis Chairman Emeritus H. F. "Gerry" Lenfest and Marguerite Lenfest.

Commons

One of the building's main social centers, the Commons includes the Albert Lounge, a comfortable area looking out onto historic St. Mark's Church, as well as a dining hall that is open to the Curtis community seven days a week.

Locks Board Room

As a gathering area for trustees, overseers, faculty, staff, and others which can accommodate up to 60 people, Locks Board Room weds historic details with state-of-the-art technology.

Gould rehearsal Hall

A 2,850-square-foot, acoustically designed rehearsal hall accommodates a full orchestra for the largest-scale core repertoire, with state-of-the-art video, audio, and Internet2 capabilities. Teaching studios for percussion, double bass, and harp are located adjacent to the rehearsal hall.

 

The Curtis Campus