As a tenant you may be responsible for making the necessary arrangements to get utility services. Leases vary as to which utilities are included in the rent. When renting an apartment, water and sewer services are usually the responsibility of the landlord. Check to see if heat (using gas, electricity, or oil) are included in rent; if not, you are responsible for paying these expenses.
Set up your own accounts at the beginning of the lease and make sure you close the accounts at the end of the lease. If you do not, you will continue to be liable for utilities in your name even after you have moved out of the apartment.
The companies you will have to contact for utility services are below:
To set up PECO service, request it either online or by phone.
- If applying online, you should fill in this application at least five days prior to the date that you want service on. You will be notified via e-mail when your application has been accepted.
- To apply by phone, call 1-800-494-4000.
PHILADELPHIA GAS WORKS
To set up PGW service:
- Gas can be turned on within forty-eight hours from notification (workload permitting).
- There is no service charge.
- You can apply for service by phone, (215) 235-1000, or in person at 1137 Chestnut Street, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Local landline telephone service and access to a long distance company of choice (AT&T, MCI, Sprint).
To request service:
- Call 1-800-640-4155, toll-free, in Philadelphia only, on Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m., and on Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. If you are outside of Philadelphia, call (215) 571-7050 during the same hours.
- You can request telephone service over the phone or via website. Verizon recommends that you request service via phone.
- You may also be asked to fax to 1-800-834-4484 copies of the following:
- Two pieces of ID (one of them a valid picture document: driver's license, passport or student ID)
- The lease (landlord's name and telephone number), if you are a foreign student
Charges can be billed over a six- or twelve-month period. Telephone services will start within three business days. Verizon FIOS Internet may not be readily available within all areas of the city.
Comcast offers digital cable, internet, and phone service. Comcast also offers these services in bundles for those that are looking for more than one service.
To request service:
- Online: select package desired, follow instructions.
- By phone: call 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) twenty-four hours a day.
- In person:
- 1 Comcast Center, Philadelphia, (215)-286-1700
- 1500 Market Street, Floor 11E, Philadelphia (215) 665-0629
- 11400 Northeast Ave, Philadelphia (215) 673-6600