To maintain its priceless musical traditions in the modern environment, Curtis has created a dynamic space for learning and living, tailored to the needs of its extraordinary students and faculty.
Curtis's newest facility, Lenfest Hall, opened in September 2011 at 1616 Locust Street, doubling the size of the school's campus. Designed by renowned Philadelphia architects Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates, Lenfest Hall includes:
- the magnificent Gould Rehearsal Hall, the primary rehearsal space for the Curtis Symphony Orchestra
- 32 additional studios for lessons, individual practice, classes, and rehearsals
- safe, affordable housing for half the student body
- a fifth-floor garden terrace
- convenient dining facilities
- state-of-the-art technology to support and extend learning.
- the orchestra library, which is equal to those of the major symphony orchestras of the world and contains over 1,000 sets of parts
- the orchestral instrument collection, which houses over two hundred string instruments and bows--including donations from eminent members of the Curtis family such as Efrem Zimbalist, Felix Galimir, and Arnold Steinhardt--and approximately fifty wind and brass instruments, including exotic and less-traditional instruments
The building is named in honor of Curtis Board Chairman H. F. "Gerry" Lenfest and Curtis Overseer Marguerite Lenfest, who spearheaded the campaign to fund the building’s construction with a transformational $30 million challenge. Curtis is now raising an additional $5 million to endow the building’s operations. Give to the Lenfest Hall Endowment Fund now.
On September 6, 2011 Curtis celebrated the opening of Lenfest Hall with Mr. and Mrs. Lenfest and over 400 friends.