Global Music Community
A passion for making music, keen insight into its power, and enthusiasm for sharing it radiate from Curtis to inspire a global music community. Join the audience and the conversation, wherever you are, through our performance and lifelong-learning initiatives.
- Watch online at Curtis Performs:
Broadcast-quality HD videos of students, faculty, and alumni.
- Listen in person to Curtis On Tour:
Professional worldwide touring experience for students alongside celebrated alumni and faculty
- Learn online through Coursera:
Free online courses designed to engage lifelong learners and build a global music community
Exploring Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, by Jonathan Biss, now active—new lectures coming in May!
The World of the String Quartet, by Arnold Steinhardt and Mia Chung with the Aizuri Quartet, now active!
- Play at Curtis during Summerfest:
Opportunities to explore classical music and experience the Curtis “learn by doing” philosophy on-site in Philadelphia.
How Curtis Plays to the World
Curtis by the numbers
100% of students on merit-based full-tuition scholarship
20 nations represented by the student body in a typical year
200 + performances each season in Philadelphia and worldwide
100 + free recitals each season
50 + destinations around the globe visited by Curtis On Tour
2,300 + children and adults reached each year by Curtis community engagement events
Countless performance opportunities for Curtis students
$36,000 + Tuition value per student
75% Percent of students receiving aid
80% of Curtis’s annual budget comes from annual giving and endowment income
A global impact on music
Graduates of Curtis are musical leaders. A select group numbering only 4,000 since the school’s founding in 1924. Curtis alumni have had a profound impact on the world of music.
- They are solo artists in the most important venues in the world- from Berlin to Bejing and beyond.
- They play in ensembles worldwide and hold principal and titled chairs in every major American orchestra.
- They are on the rosters of the Metropolitan Opera, La Scala, Covent Garden, the Vienna Staatsoper, and the San Francisco Opera, among other world-renowned companies.
- They have won Pultizer Prizes, Guggenheim Fellowships, Avery Fisher Awards, Grammies, Tonys, and countless other prestigious musical honors.
Help Curtis Play to the World
Curtis provides every student with a tuition-free education. With no tuition income, the school’s revenue comes overwhelmingly from philanthropy. Annual giving and endowment income provide more than 80 percent of the annual budget. Learn more about ways you can support Curtis through the Annual Fund and other initiatives.