Title: Director of Special Events and Facilities Rentals
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Development
The Director of Special Events and Facilities Rentals reports to the Senior Vice President of Development and works closely with all members of the Curtis Advancement Department, as well as volunteers, to conceptualize and implement major fundraising events that provide substantial support to the Curtis Annual Fund and also to help nurture the continual growth of Curtis’s donor community through well-coordinated, high-quality cultivation and stewardship events. The Director of Special Events and Facilities Rentals also works closely with the Facilities and Finance Departments to promote, book, and manage outside rentals of Curtis facilities.
Specific position responsibilities - Special Events:
- Plan large-scale events, including the annual Gala, as well as other major events in and outside of Philadelphia.
- Drive and manage all event logistics and details with exceptional attention to quality and accuracy:
- Carefully and attentively manage volunteer leadership
- Develop strategic invitation lists
- Manage event budgets, ensuring appropriate spending and reimbursements
- Coordinate the content, design, and mailing of invitations (electronic and regular)
- Oversee catering and décor arrangements
- Organize programming, both artistic and other presentations
- Track and record responses and batch ticket reservations in a timely manner
- Prepare timely ticket and contribution acknowledgments, as well as pledge reminders
- Draft briefing documents in collaboration with research
- Ensure appropriate coordination of performance and performer needs with the Department of Performance Studies
- Execute thorough event follow-up
- Support the appropriate subcommittees of the Board of Directors of the Friends of Curtis and the Crescendo Club Steering Committee to facilitate their effective functioning and the success of their events.
- Work closely with the Patron Services Manager to coordinate VIP seating for concerts, recitals, and operas.
- Work with relationship managers, external affairs and patron engagement team members, and the President’s Office to organize and manage local and regional events, including Board and Overseers dinners, press briefings, memorials, and other special events, as needed.
- Create special acknowledgements, manage mailings, and organize intimate gatherings for various individual donors and donor communities as needed.
Specific position responsibilities - Facilities Rentals:
- Manage the promotion, booking, contracts, logistics, and invoicing for all Curtis outside rentals (excluding Summerfest programs and recording sessions).
- Maximize revenue opportunities to meet goals as outlined in the operating budget while balancing Curtis performance, academic, governance, faculty, and staff needs.
- Report monthly on revenue and expenses associated with facilities rentals with responsibility for achieving mutually agreed upon targets.
- Serve as liaison between all rental groups and Curtis staff and outside providers.
- Prior to programs and at rental events, ensure that all details have been attended to and that the event proceeds as intended; provide support to staff and volunteers to ensure seamless execution and functionality; trouble-shoot and offer solutions as needed.
- Serve as on-site resource as required during rental events.
- Coordinate post-event discussions and reviews with Curtis rental clientele, Curtis staff, and outside providers to ensure program goals were met; offer suggestions for improvement as needed.
- Work closely with the Director of Facilities Operations to coordinate all operational functions.
- Work closely with the Controller to collect applicable taxes and track those rental events that trigger Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT).
- Strong communication, writing, and organizational skills to seamlessly and effectively manage multiple concurrent tasks and projects.
- Prior experience with Raiser’s Edge and Blackbaud NetCommunity desired; familiarity with Planning Pod software a plus.
- High level of creativity and a front-line focus for developing and managing strategic, targeted events and relationships.
- Proven success managing volunteers and maintaining volunteer satisfaction.
- Highly detail oriented professional and a team player, with demonstrated experience working under pressure and balancing multiple priorities with grace and ease.
- Demonstrated attention to metrics and reporting.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems with sound and accurate judgment.
- Ability to attend and staff events on evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Ability to effectively direct and supervise staff and volunteers during events.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 3 years in special events management and/or stewardship.
For best consideration, interested and qualified applicants should electronically submit a cover letter, resume, two professional references, and salary requirements to: email@example.com by November 21, 2014. Curtis offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and an attractive benefits package. Position begins December, 2014. No phone calls, please. EOE.