Online Course Manager
Independent contractor, November 2014 through May 2015
The Curtis Institute of Music plans to transfer its popular MOOC Exploring Beethoven's Piano Sonatas to Coursera's new interface for a January 5, 2015, relaunch. The course, taught by Jonathan Biss, has attracted more than 50,000 audience members, amateur musicians, students, teachers, and professional musicians worldwide. Most are life-enrichment learners, and the course offers a way to increase music listening skills and engage with a global community of music listeners. New lectures will be filmed and added in the spring. For Exploring Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, Curtis is looking for an experienced online learning manager to function as an independent contractor, coordinating the online lifelong learning team and implementing the course.
- Oversee content transition to new Coursera format: [November and December]
- Adapt non-video course material from original sessions to new format, working with Coursera (videos and quizzes will be transferred).
- Review video material and recommend minimal updates.
- Create in-video quizzes and online community discussion material.
- Create participant surveys and report on responses, enrollment, and learner activity weekly to select staff. [November through May]
- Help develop new content: [January and February 2015]
- Attend three to five days of recording sessions, following script.
- Plan basic supplementary material to support life-enrichment learners.
- Review post-production lecture videos.
- Edit subtitles.
- Coordinate occasional meet-ups and Google Hangouts with instructor and his representatives during Spring 2015. [January through May]
- Collaborate with the Curtis promotional team to announce the class and new lectures, and update the Coursera and Curtis websites. [December and January, March or April]
- Coordinate Curtis student workers to help monitor course dialogue. [January through May]
- Other tasks as assigned by Senior Director for Digital Initiatives.
- Independent contractor position
- Mix of long days during production and shorter ones during course run.
- Occasional night and weekend hours required to meet critical deadlines.
- Within required deadlines and schedules, make your own hours and be able to work from home when not needed on location.
- Average could be 20 hours per week as course content is being developed and another 10–15 during the course run.
- Experience as project manager for online learning, with classroom teaching and instructional design experience preferred.
- Ability to collaborate to accomplish goals on time and on budget while supporting the creative efforts of a team with multiple projects.
- Ability to manage details while working within the bigger picture.
- Strong organizational and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Experience with preparing and posting website content, including basic HTML coding.
- Knowledge of classical music desirable.
How to Apply
Submit résumé, cover letter, and three references by October 15 to Curtis Human Resources Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls, please. Stipend commensurate with experience. Background check required. EOE